Wednesday 18 July 2012

Society, Norms --> Conformity


Today I want to share a little event from my day at work. But first:


have you ever thought about how much we people conform to our societies norms, expectations and culture?

After studying psychology for years and moreover social psychology I have come to realized that we are under so much pressure to conform in our daily lives, which I think is way too much. Now I will tell you what happened today. It all started a few weeks ago when I had my nails painted blue. 





Yes, blue you heard me right. And yes I’m a flight attendant. First I want to ask you: what’s wrong with blue finger nails? Why can you have nails painted red and not blue? Think about that one. Red is the colour of blood, ”love” and I guess seen as a very “feminine” colour. Blue is the colour of the sea and sky but I guess seen as a more “masculine” colour. All this is just “norms” made up by someone and later followed by all of us. Why? Well yes because it’s the norm and you can’t break norms right. Or can you? I think some norms are too be challenged. Why? Well to raise questions like: why we do, think and behave in the ways we do. People, like you and me, learn all these things almost before we even can talk or even walk due to our surrounding society and its pressure to conform. Conformity is a big problem. We are expected to conform and not ”stand out” nor be too ”different”. But in order for this to change I thought, I’m gonna be different. I’m gonna stand out a bit and see what reactions my blue nails will make at work. Some loved them, most people made a comment: “your nails are BLUE?!” as in why did you paint your nails blue nobody does that.. Men especially on my flights LOVED my nails and said they looked everything from: cool, nice and sporty. Looking back if my nails would have been pink, red or French no one would have made a single comment on them. And for a man to comment on nails I think I kind of created a small ”forum” for thoughts that nails doesn’t have to be manicured only in french, red or pink they can have any colour.



(Who said can't nails can't be blue?)

I chose BLUE because of two reasons; it’s one of my favourite colours and moreover matches my uniform (see picture). Doesn’t it look lovely? I challenged the conformity but I have now been told to conform and adopt to colours that are acceptable, e.g. the norm for colour of nails not to get in any trouble at work. How childish isn’t that? I’m 26 years old but at work I can’t decided over the colour of my finger nails according to my preferences or liking. It has to be according to our societies norms.  I’m not surrendering the fight against conformity yet. I will keep questioning it and hopefully raise other peoples awareness regarding how much our society influence our life’s though its norms.

If I had children I would dress my boys in baby pink and my girls in baby blue. Poor kids you may think but I think it’s time for a change. We are too controlled and shaped by our society’s norms. 


IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE 
&
 for that to happen
 YOU HAVE TO BE THE CHANGE

Does anyone agree with me? Isn't conformity boring & a complete waste of your time & energy. Just be yourself & let it shine though, everyday & in any colour you fancy

No comments:

Post a Comment